Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - Click here for homepage
Stay Informed  |  Volunteer  |  Clinical Trials

In This Section

Quick Links

Find a Chapter

Bookmark and Share   Print  

Work with Your CF Team 

Your CF social worker or nurse can be most helpful to you when you have questions about private insurance or are having difficulty understanding your options for coverage. If life and your health are throwing you curve balls, members of your care team may be able to help.

Some young adults are unable to maintain private health insurance because of their health condition. Certain states will offer coverage for a premium or for free if your medical condition qualifies you. The social worker or nurse at your CF center should know if your state has such a program. 

If you are 18 years of age, you may qualify for social security benefits, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you are over 18 years, you may qualify for disability benefits, or SSDI.

Talk with the social worker or the doctor or nurse at your CF center about if you might be able to get SSI or SSDI. They should be able to help you understand if you qualify medically for either program.

Your CF care team also has a list of patient assistance programs that can help you get medicines you may need. They will also know about any state and local programs that may help you.

Updated 07/20/12

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is an accredited charity of the Better Business Bureau.