Have you had difficulties obtaining coverage for CF medications? Has your insurance company rejected your specialized CF care bills? Have you had trouble getting your child’s CF needs met at school? Do you need information about applying for government benefits? Contact the CF Legal Information Hotline or call (800) 622-0385 for help with your questions.
The CF Legal Information Hotline provides free information about the laws that protect the rights of individuals with cystic fibrosis (CF). It serves as a resource for CF Care Centers, individuals with CF, and their families. Information is available regarding:
The CF Legal Information Hotline is an information resource only. The Hotline does not provide legal representation for callers. All calls are confidential.
- Obtaining health insurance
- Access to health insurance under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Extending health insurance coverage under COBRA
- Insurance coverage issues
- Social Security Disability Insurance benefits
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits
- Medicare and Medicaid coverage
- Employment issues for people with CF, including protections under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- School laws to assist children with CF in public elementary and secondary schools through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Protections for students in elementary school through college and beyond under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504
- Unpaid time off from work under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
The CF Legal Information Hotline is administered by Beth Sufian. An attorney and adult with CF, Ms. Sufian has been an advocate for individuals with CF for more than 15 years. Her professional and personal experiences have instilled in her a unique understanding of the law and the importance of being able to advocate for one’s self or family member.
The CF Legal Information Hotline is sponsored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and, in part, by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
To contact the hotline, call (800) 622-0385 or send an e-mail to CFLegal@cff.org.
back to top