As the health care landscape continues to evolve, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is dedicated to providing the information you need to make the best decisions about health coverage for you and your family.
What does the ACA mean for people with CF?
For many people with cystic fibrosis, the ACA offers some new health insurance options and protections.
Several of these changes may be helpful for the CF community:*
- Insurers will no longer be able to deny coverage based on a pre-existing condition like cystic fibrosis.
- Young people are able to stay on their parent’s health plan until they turn 26.
- New state marketplaces will help consumers compare and purchase different health plans.
- Lifetime and annual limits will be eliminated for essential health benefits on many plans.
- Several states will expand Medicaid to include more low-income adults.
- Beginning in 2015:
- Out-of-pocket expenses will be capped.
*It is important to remember that if your plan was created before March 23, 2010, some changes may not apply. You should always contact the insurance company for information about your plan or any plan you might purchase.
If you have questions about your health insurance coverage or whether you are eligible for public coverage programs, please contact the CF Foundation’s Patient Assistance Resource Center at 1-888-315-4154 or email email@example.com.
back to top
Where can I get more information on health care reform and the ACA?
As the health reform law is implemented, people with CF, their families and health care providers may still have questions. The following resources may be able to help:
- Explore your options – Use an online tool at HealthCare.gov to determine your health insurance and coverage options.
- HealthCare.gov – Visit the official site for the health insurance marketplaces.
- CuidadoDeSalud.gov – Visita el sitio oficial de los mercados de seguros médicos.
- Kaiser Family Foundation – Stay up to date on changes related to coverage and the health care reform law.
back to top
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation works to promote access to quality CF care, support CF research and drug development and raise CF awareness. For more information on the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s Policy Agenda, please visit our Current Issues page.
Do you have suggestions on our content? Please let us know if the information we are providing is helpful. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
back to top