Here are some tips for including quality in your healthcare decisions. Such decisions involve CF care centers, treatments, health plans and you.
Look for a CF care center that:
- Has received accreditation by the CF Foundation;
- Is working to improve the quality of care they provide;
- Has the training and experience to meet your needs;
- Takes steps to prevent illness — for example, will talk to you about getting the screening tests or is working to avoid the spread of germs;
- Will work with you to make decisions about your or your child’s healthcare;
- Can get you or your child admitted to, or treated at, a hospital with experience in caring for CF;
- Will partner and communicate with your primary healthcare provider;
- Is part of your health plan.
When choosing a treatment, make sure you understand:
- When and how soon problems need to be treated;
- Your treatment options;
- The benefits and risks of each treatment;
- The costs of each treatment;
- Whether the treatments are based on the latest scientific evidence.
Make sure you have a health plan that:
- Allows you to use an accredited CF care center;
- Allows you to use a pharmacy and hospital familiar with CF care;
- Provides the benefits (CF medicines and covered services) you need;
- Provides services where and when you need them;
- Does a good job of helping people stay well and get better;
- Has been given high ratings by its members on the things that are important