I. Personal and Professional Integrity
All staff, board members and volunteers of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, should act with honesty, integrity and openness in their dealings as representatives of the Foundation. The CF Foundation promotes a working environment that values respect, fairness and integrity.
The CF Foundation has a clearly stated mission and purpose, approved by the board of trustees, in pursuit of the public good. Its programs support that mission and those who work for or on behalf of the CF Foundation and are expected to understand and be loyal to that mission and purpose. The mission is responsive to the constituency and communities served by the CF Foundation.
The CF Foundation has an active governing body that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic direction of the Foundation and oversight of the finances, operations, and policies of the Foundation. The governing body:
Provides that its trustees have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties and that members understand and fulfill their governance duties acting for the benefit of the Foundation and its public purpose;
Has a conflict of interest policy that provides that any conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof are avoided or appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal or other means; and
Is responsible for the hiring, firing, and regular review of the performance of the chief executive officer, and ensures that the compensation of the chief executive officer is reasonable and appropriate;
Ensures that the CEO and appropriate staff provide the governing body with timely and comprehensive information so that the governing body can effectively carry out its duties;
Is responsible for overseeing that the CF Foundation conducts transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty;
Is committed to the CF Foundation promoting working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, and program beneficiaries that are based on mutual respect, fairness and openness;
Is responsible for overseeing that the policies of the CF Foundation are in writing, clearly articulated and officially adopted;
Is responsible for overseeing that that the resources of the CF Foundation are responsibly and prudently managed; and,
Is responsible for overseeing that that the CF Foundation has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.
IV. Legal Compliance
The CF Foundation strives to ensure its staff and board members are knowledgeable of and comply with laws, regulations and applicable international conventions. The CF Foundation requires compliance with the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code for not-for-profit organizations.
V. Responsible Stewardship
The CF Foundation and its subsidiaries and affiliate manage their funds responsibly and prudently. This includes the following considerations:
- The CF Foundation spends a responsible percentage of its annual budget on programs in pursuit of its mission;
- The CF Foundation spends an adequate amount on administrative expenses to ensure effective accounting systems, internal controls, competent staff, and other expenditures critical to professional management;
- The CF Foundation takes steps to acquire counsel to ensure its compensation practices are reasonable;
- The CF Foundation strives to maintain responsible fund-raising ratios, recognizing the variety of independent programs;
- The CF Foundation provides for the responsible oversight of its funds;
- The CF Foundation strives to ensures that spending practices and policies are fair, reasonable and appropriate to fulfill the mission of the Foundation; and,
- Financial reports are factually accurate and complete in all material respects.
VI. Openness and Disclosure
The CF Foundation complies with federal, state and municipal laws for providing comprehensive information to the public, the media, and stakeholders in a responsive and timely manner. Information about the CF Foundation fully and honestly reflects the policies and practices of the Foundation. Solicitation materials accurately represent the CF Foundation’s policies and practices. Financial, organizational, and program reports are complete and accurate in all material respects.
VII. Mission Evaluation
The CF Foundation is committed to the continual evaluation and improvement of its programs including research, care and education and organizational effectiveness.
The CF Foundation complies with federal and state equal employment opportunity laws and maintains a policy of promoting diversity.
The CF Foundation is truthful in its solicitation materials, respects the privacy concerns of individual donors and expends funds consistently with the donor’s intent. The CF Foundation discloses important and relevant information to potential donors.
In raising funds from the public, the CF Foundation will respect the rights of donors, as follows:
- The CF Foundation informs donors of its mission, the way the resources will be used and its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes;
- In its annual report, the CF Foundation provides the identity of those serving on the governing board;
- The CF Foundation provides its most recent financial reports on its website, in its annual report and upon request;
- The CF Foundation assures donors their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given;
- The CF Foundation provides appropriate acknowledgement and recognition;
- The CF Foundation assures donors that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law;
- The CF Foundation provides donors the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists; and,
- The CF Foundation will provide prompt, truthful and forthright answers to the best of its ability in responding to donors’ questions regarding donations.
X. Granting Guidelines
The CF Foundation strives for constructive relationships with grantseekers based on mutual respect and shared objectives, including clear communication, compliance with applicable rights of privacy and laws, and in the spirit of the highest integrity.
back to top