CF Foundation Care Centers Receive Awards for Quality Care at 2009 NACFC
November 5, 2009
At this year’s North American CF Conference, select CF Foundation-accredited care centers received awards for quality improvement work that led to better health outcomes for CF patients.
Bruce Marshall, M.D., vice president of clinical affairs at the CF Foundation (far left) and Peter J. Mogayzel, Jr., M.D., center director at Johns Hopkins (far right) congratulate Samya Nasr, M.D. and Richard Simon, M.D. from the University of Michigan CF care team.
“We are aggressive in taking care of kids,” said Samya Nasr, M.D., the CF center director at the University of Michigan, an award-winning care center. “We have a lot of initiatives in research, in multi-center studies, and in improving the adherence of patients.”
The University of Michigan CF care center has a long history of innovation in clinical research and treatment and has made Great Strides in the care of people with CF.
During the fall and spring, the CF Foundation Center Committee visited 21 care centers and evaluated them based upon specific quality improvement criteria. Of the 21 centers visited, nine centers were honored with a quality improvement award because they excelled in one or more of the following areas:
- Actively using clinical outcomes data to identify opportunities for improvement and documenting results of improvement efforts;
- Aligning improvement efforts to result in measurable improvement in important clinical outcomes;
- Consistently and actively involving patients and families in identifying, designing and/or implementing improvement efforts;
- Employing innovative strategies to improve care processes and outcomes; and
- Implementing system changes that result in high reliability of care processes.
The following care centers were honored for their quality improvement efforts, which directly led to improved health outcomes for people with CF.
- University of Alabama Birmingham
- University of Iowa
- Maine Pediatric Specialty Group & Maine Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital Boston
- University of Michigan
- Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital & Saint Louis University
- Saint Louis Children’s Hospital, Washington University & Barnes Jewish Hospital
- Cook Children’s Medical Center
- The Children’s Specialty Center Fletcher Allen Health Care & University of Vermont
The Foundation instituted the Quality Care Awards in 2008.