The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is the world’s leader in the search for a cure for cystic fibrosis. We fund more CF research than any other organization, and nearly every CF drug available today was made possible because of Foundation support.
We are a nonprofit donor-supported organization dedicated to attacking cystic fibrosis from every angle. Our focus is to support the development of new drugs to fight the disease, improve the quality of life for those with CF, and ultimately to find a cure.
The Foundation's drug development success has been recognized by Harvard Business School and by publications such as Forbes, Discover magazine, and The Wall Street Journal.
Based in Bethesda, Md., the Foundation funds and accredits a national care center network that has been recognized by the National Institutes of Health as a model of care for a chronic disease.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is one of the most efficient organizations of its kind and is an accredited charity of the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Is…Hope in Action
Until we end this disease, our team will work tirelessly to extend and enhance life for those with cystic fibrosis by functioning as:
- Research pioneers, blazing new trails in drug development;
- Fund-raisers, securing the money needed to support the fight against CF;
- Advocates, keeping CF a top priority in government, industry and research;
- Stewards, using your donations to help fuel the creation of new drugs;
- Caregivers, linking patients and families to specialized CF care; and
- Helping hands, offering support, information and resources.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Is…Building on Success
- When the Foundation was established in 1955, children with CF rarely lived long enough to attend elementary school. Due in large part to the Foundation's aggressive investments in innovative research and comprehensive care, many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s and beyond.
- In 1989, CF Foundation-supported scientists discovered the defective gene that causes cystic fibrosis — a monumental breakthrough on the road to a cure.
- The Foundation played an integral role in the development and FDA approval of five therapies that are now part of regular treatment regimens for many with CF. The Foundation has a robust pipeline of promising potential drugs that target the disease from every angle.
In 2012, the FDA approved the groundbreaking drug Kalydeco™, the first drug to treat the underlying cause of CF in a small group of people with the disease. The Foundation also is supporting research that may eventually treat the root cause of the disease in all people living with CF.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Is…Still Making Progress
We are proud of our achievements. But, we still have much to do. Learn more about what the Foundation does to fight cystic fibrosis and how you can get involved.
back to top