The Cystic Fibrosis Therapeutics Development Network (TDN) is the largest cystic fibrosis clinical trials network in the world.
The TDN brings together experts from across the United States to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of new CF therapies through clinical studies. We work continually to improve research methods and pursue new areas of scientific inquiry.
Through efficient study design, optimized clinical trial execution and high-quality data, the TDN helps speed the delivery of new and better therapies to people with CF.
Who We Are
The TDN is a collaborative organization composed of specialists in CF clinical research from a variety of disciplines and institutions:
- A central Coordinating Center at Seattle Children’s Research Institute supports clinical trial development, management and analysis.
- Seventy-seven CF Foundation-accredited care centers with demonstrated expertise in clinical research, called CF Therapeutics Development Centers, recruit study participants and conduct clinical trials.
- A group of laboratories and interpretation centers, called National Resource Centers, specialize in developing and measuring CF clinical trial outcomes.
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics, Inc., the CF Foundation’s nonprofit drug discovery and development affiliate, is the primary source of funding for the TDN. Additional funding for some clinical studies comes from pharmaceutical companies or government agencies such as the National Institutes of Health and U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
See Working with the TDN for more information on the benefits of collaborating with us on your CF study.
What We Have Accomplished
Since its founding in 1998 as a subset of the CF Foundation’s care center network, the TDN has conducted more than 100 clinical studies for CF in a wide range of therapeutic areas, including CFTR modulators, anti-infectives, anti-inflammatories, nutritional therapies and airway surface liquid hydrators. These studies have resulted in more than 175 publications.
The success of the TDN has not only helped make new therapies available to people with CF, it also has allowed the TDN to serve as a role model for many other clinical research networks.
Visit the CF Foundation’s drug development pipeline for more information about the progress of CF research and the different types of therapies currently being studied.
Unique Advantages of the TDN
The TDN promotes quality, safety and efficiency in CF clinical trials by centralizing and standardizing the research process. Our innovative approach includes:
- Centralized review of clinical trial protocols
- Common policies to protect patient safety
- Standardized research procedures
- Shared expertise among top CF researchers
- Tools and training for clinical research staff
- A unique quality improvement program tailored for clinical research
For Additional Information
- People with CF and their families can find out about participating in research by visiting About Clinical Trials, talking to members of their care team at their CF care center or contacting the nearest TDN center.
- Sponsors or investigators interested in conducting a study with the TDN can learn more about our processes, tools and services by reading Working with the TDN.
Ways You Can Help
back to top